Although am not a big fan of chocolate, brownies this year became on top of my recipes to do list. Thanks to The Taste of Home Baking Book ; I was able to bake a variety of brownies’ recipes during this Ramadan.
When I first bought the cookbooks I have, I didn’t expect that I would be able to try as many of the recipes as I did during this month. Many of these cookbooks stood on shelf waiting and waiting for a very longtime without a chance to be picked up!
Many times when I come across these cookbooks I feel sorry for being ignorant. However, all this changed recently. Discovering that being ignorant was a result of how busy my schedule is due to work, study, etc. made me regain hope that whenever I’m free I will always try new recipe and take good pictures of it.
It also allowed me to appreciate the free time that I have these days, and made me consistent in experimenting new recipes and willing to take photos as much as possible.
Nevertheless, during this month, experiencing a new taste everyday became a part of my daily routine, in addition to the recipe to do list, which is filled with recipes to do and ingredients to buy. When I look at it, I see a “never ending enjoyable experience within my tiny cozy studio like kitchen”
Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
Adapted form The Taste of Home Baking Book, serves around 24 bars. All you need is a small baking pan and an oven!
Brownie Layer Ingredients
4 ounces German sweet chocolate, broken into squares ” I used hershey’s chocolate chips”
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract ” I used less than the recommend portion in mine”
1/2 cup chopped nuts “optional, I didn’t use nuts in mine!”
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Making the Brownie Layer
1. In a saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate and butter together, stir until smooth, then cool and set a side.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, then gradually add sugar.
3. Beat until the egg mixture becomes thick and pale yellow.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, then add to the egg mixture.
5. Stir in the melted chocolate extracts and nuts. Then add egg-flour mixture to the melted chocolate.
6. Pour half of the batter into a greased 8 inch baking pan, set a side.
Making the Filling
7. In a small mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
8. Gradually, add sugar, then beat until fluffy.
9. Blend in the egg, flour and vanilla. Ensure a well mix.
10. Pour over the brownie batter, then spoon the remaining brownie batter over the filling.
11. Using a knife, cut through the batter to create a marbled effect. ” I used a spoon end to do that, which I found much easier than a knife!”.
12. Bake at 325ºF for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
13. Cool on a wire rack, then cut into bars.
14. Store in refrigerator till serving.
enjoy with love,
MaryamPrint this post