Fried Potato Cubes with Coriander .. Patata Hara

by Maryam on September 24, 2010

This is my favorite starter ever! Whenever I go to a Lebanese restaurant the first thing pops up into my mind is Patata Hara or “fried potato with coriander” which normally comes in a cubic form. All I can say about Patata Hara is that it’s simply delicious.

I always wanted to learn how to make Patata Hara, however, I didn’t know from where I can get a good recipe teaches me how to do it. Whenever I plan to learn how to cook something new I really like to learn the original basic recipe first! I believe this allows me to master the recipe even if I tried a modified version of it later. Then you can always tell if this modification is a good improvement to the recipe or not.

Usually when I decide to make something I know nothing about, I directly open allrecipes webpage and search for the best rating recipe. I read the comments for further instructions and refer to the tips provided. These steps makes me feel that I’m well educated to do the recipe I want no matter how difficult it seems to be. The only remaining thing at that point is buying the ingredients. However, this is not the situation when it comes to Arabic recipes! The whole thing becomes a little bit difficult.

Honestly, Arabic cooking is not difficult at all! But, when it comes to learn new recipe you have mainly two options. Either you get yourself a very good cookbook and that needs a lot of trial and error (or maybe you are lucky enough to get some recommendations from close relatives or friends). The second option is to ask someone who masters the recipe you’r seeking, which is not always the case either. This doesn’t mean that you can’t try both options till you get what you want. As an Arabic community it became mandatory to publish something similar to foodnetwork , allrecipes , etc. we need to publish a specialized website in Arabic cooking, which provides it’s readers with recipes and cooking tips.

The original dish comes without the mayonnaise sauce, and it still tasty. So, if you want to serve it all by itself or with the mayo sauce, both choices will give you amazing taste.If you are doing this at home my suggestion for you is, to serve it with something light; like a salad or a soup. It is pretty heavy and it can makes you feel full and satisfied. In my opinion when you are doing Patata Hara there is no need to serve it with any type of main course dish at all.

ENJOY ..

Fried Potato Cubes with Coriander .. Patata Hara

Adapted from 77 Dishes for the Gourmet “Kuwaiti cookbook”.

Shopping List

4 large potatoes, chopped into 2cm cubes

2tablespoons +1/4 teaspoon salt

13 medium – large garlic cloves, crushed

1/4 cup olive oil

3 cups coriander, finely chopped

1/4 cup mayonnaise

Making the Fired Potato

4 large potatoes, chopped into 2cm cubes

1/8 cup olive oil

2tablespoons salt

Using a large skillet, fry potato cubes with olive oil until golden. Add salt, and soak up the excess oil by placing it on kitchen papre.

1/8 cup olive oil

13 medium – large garlic cloves, crushed

3 cups coriander, finely chopped

1/4 teaspoon salt

Place the garlic in another non-stick frying pan, saute with the remaining olive oil till it’s aroma is smallable and it’s color turns to brownish yellow. Add the chopped coriander and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir for a minute over medium heat. Reserve 1/3 cup of the coriander mixture to add it to the sauce later.
Add fried potatoes to the coriander mixture and stir for another two minutes. Make sure that all the ingredients are combined with each other.

Making the Sauce

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup of the coriander mixture

Mix together the reserved coriander and mayonnaise.

Serve the sauce beside the potatoes or mix both (the sauce and potatoes) and serve it imediately.

* note: adding some lemon juice to this dish makes it more tastier !

enjoy with love,

Maryam

Print this post

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

nesrine September 24, 2010 at 10:31 am

Maryam… your photos just awesome.. your blog really is unique.
I will relate to this dish ,I love it.
nesrine.

Mika September 24, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I cooked batata harra once, but it was just an experiment with parsley and not coriander…It was not the same, I know…Now I have finally found a place which sell coriander so I can try the original version…I will try your recipe!!! I never had the original batata harra, so I trust you that are crazy about them… ^_^

Ed Charbeneau September 24, 2010 at 4:22 pm

In the states, Coriander often refers to the seeds and the leaves are called Cilantro.

The recipe sounds simple and tasty. Fried potatoes are something I like to do a lot on the weekends, so I’ll probably be trying it soon.

I’m betting some lemon would go great in that sauce too.

Belinda @zomppa September 24, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Great flavors to change up potatoes!

Tiffany September 24, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I am a big fan of potatoes and this sounds really good and fairly simple to make, I will try it!

Maryam September 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Dear nesrine, thanks a lot for your kind comment .. see you soon!

Dear Mika, yeah they are really awesome .. hope you enjoy it.

Dear Ed, thanks for your note> I will keep it in mind for the next recipe that requires cilantro! and Yes adding lemon is a great idea, in fact I did add lemon to mine!

Dear Belinda, you are right .. see you soon

Dear Tiffany, you are most welcome! my sisters are also a big fans of potatoes and both liked this dish a lot, hope you enjoy it as well

The AmerArab Wife September 28, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I’m a big fan of batata harra, in all its different forms. I usually add a minced hot pepper or a spoonful of chili pepper paste to mine for an extra kick.
As far as an Arabic cooking website, have you tried http://www.fatafeat.com which is based from the Fatafeat TV station, all food shows. It can be very helpful as long as you can read Arabic!

Maryam September 29, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Dear The AmerArab Wife, fatafeat tv is very well known channel here in Kuwait. I didn’t see one family who doesn’t watch fatafeat! It is an Arabic channel, however, most of the recipes are not. What I’m suggesting is a website that contains Arabic recipes which allows people to comment and rate each recipe. This will help many people around the world to learn how to cook Arabic food and enjoy it’s taste as well.

Darren October 14, 2010 at 7:42 am

Props on your blog, really well presented and the pictures really helps. I’m going to make this shortly and sprinkle over a chicken salad.

Bookmarked your blog ;)

josephine December 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm

tried making potato hara once, but this is so good to the sight….. i’m gonna try making the next one look as nice as what is available here in……… hmmmm