Mini Corn Dog .. the best!

by Maryam on August 25, 2010

I’ve noticed something very interesting in the past couple of weeks; everybody talks about food! And I mean everybody, women, men, teenagers and even kids! Okay I can understand it when people who adore food talk about new recipes and what is the plan or today’s Iftar “breakfast”. However, know I’m seeing people who never talked about food, opening food network and searching for recipes! People who are not interested in home cooking and recipes at all. In fact, the food subject became number one these days everywhere ..

It is interesting, specially when you observe this phenomena closer and closer. I’m seeing people with different interests and from different backgrounds discuss the same topics food, recipes, and what to eat today!

The first time I was interduced to corn dogs was three years ago! I tasted it once in my first visit to California, and after two years I ate it again for the second time in Housten; that’s all. I’d never know what is the name of the covered hot dog am eating! That’s why I couldn’t search for it’s recipe nor doing it back home.

Mini Corn Dog

One day my sister told me that she tasted something called corn dogs and it was delicious! I asked her how it looked like? and she told me hot dog covered with cornmeal dough.

adapted from allrecipies.com, yield to 72 corn dogs.

Corn Dog ingredients

1 cup yellow cornmeal

1 cup all-purpose flour, more to cover beef frankfuters

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 cup white sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 egg

1 cup milk

1 quart vegetable oil for frying

72 mini beef frankfurters

72 toothpicks

Making the corn dog

1. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and baking powder. Stir in eggs and milk.

2. Preheat oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Insert toothpicks into frankfurters. Roll them in flour first. Then roll frankfurters in ice cold batter until well coated.

3. Fry 5 or 6 corn dogs at a time until lightly browned, about 3 minutes, maybe less depends on how hot the oil is. Drain on paper towels.

4. serve immediately.

enjoy with love,

Maryam

Print this post

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

Pat August 25, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I made these many years ago for my daughter when she was young. I cut a regular beef hot dog in 3 pieces and used tooth picks. But I never dipped them in flour first and I think that is a valuable tip to get the batter to stick better.

Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) August 26, 2010 at 2:12 am

Found your post trough foodgawker.com. These look so yummy! I’m glad to see that they’re beef too. I remember eating something similar to these on my friends’ back porch during the summer. great, sweet memories.

Maryam August 26, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Dear Steph, the most important thing I love food for is that it reminds you how sweet the old days were.

Maryam August 26, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Dear Pat, dipping the hot dog in flour first made a complete difference !

Mika August 26, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I made them once but I was not very happy with the result…I made a batter with only cornmeal and without sugar. I like more this version, I will try it with zucchini or onions or something like that…thanks for the recipe, beautiful pics… ^_^

Maryam August 26, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Dear Mika, you can try them with cheddar cheese ..

Cristina August 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I luv these bite-sized nibbles! It’s cute you just realized they’re called corn dogs. They are tasty treats, especially with mustard. Mmm. Craving some now. Now I’ll be on the lookout for those mini dogs…where to find?

Maryam August 26, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Dear Cristina, yeah it is a funny thing to realize that after three years corn dog is called “corn dog” ! and regarding where to find mini dogs in USA actually I don’t know! here in Kuwait mini hot dog is available in most supermarkets .. However, you can cut the normal sized hot dogs into three pieces or even more!

Ari August 26, 2010 at 11:43 pm

What a great appetizer! Love this idea, thanks for sharing.

Carla August 27, 2010 at 6:06 am

Everything is so much cuter when it’s bite sized! Can’t wait to make these mini corn dogs!

Rachelle August 27, 2010 at 7:06 am

Can’t wait to try them. I wonder if you can freeze them.

Nicole August 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I made these yesterday (spiced up with a couple teaspoons of curry powder) to take along to Iftar at my MIL’s house – they vanished in no time! Thanks for a great recipe!

Natasha August 28, 2010 at 1:56 am

These are so cute and look great! I showed my kids and asked if they wanted to make these and I think they are drooling :)

Maryam August 28, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Dear Ari, thanks for dropping by and for your kind comment! waiting for your next visit

Maryam August 28, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Dear Carla, I adore making things in bite size .. it makes people eat more and more without feeling heavy or full !

Maryam August 28, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Dear Rachelle, I believe you can freeze the batter and use it when you want. Well, in fact I didn’t try the freezing, however, I’ve placed the batter in the fridge for couple of days and the taste remained delicious as it was!

Maryam August 28, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Dear Nicole, I believe adding your touch to the recipe is important! and am happy the vanished .. which means people enjoyed what you’ve cooked!

Maryam August 28, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Dear Natasha, usually kids likes and adores mini sized dishes and meals! happy they liked the recipe ..

kevin trudeau free money October 14, 2010 at 11:08 am

Every time I read a great blog post I do one of three thing:1.Share it with my close friends.2.Bookmark it in some of the common bookmarking sites.3.Make sure to return to the website where I read the article.After reading this post I’m seriously concidering going ahead and doing all of the above.

MAHA June 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Dear maryam, please tell me from where can i get the yellow cornmeal??

Maryam June 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Dear Maha,
In Kuwait you can find corn meal in coop in earth of nature section or sultan center or Lulu hyper market in the flour section… hope this heps
Regards,
Maryam

farah October 2, 2012 at 10:58 pm

what sauce or dip do u recommend with these cuties?

Maryam October 3, 2012 at 8:03 am

Hi Farah, hmmm .. normally corn meal doesn’t comes with a dip; however, if you really want you can dip it in ketchup. Hope this helps
Regards,