Brownie Cookies

by Maryam on August 22, 2010

I admit, after ten days since Ramadan started, chocolate became essential part in my family’s life and mine! Last day, my brother kept asking me to make brownie for him. “Maryam please make brownie, I promise there will not be any leftovers!”

The same sentence repeated again and again all day .. I really wanted to do brownie for him but I was exhausted. In addition to the main factor that consumes major part of my energy “work”, for the last two days I didn’t get enough sleep, in fact, I needed to hug the pillow tightly for an hour at least. All these reasons and more, made the brownie project difficult to implement.

Before I decided to bake brownie cookies, I was planning to do the normal one. Since I started this blog, approximately one year ago, I didn’t try any cookies recipe. I thought it would be a good idea to try something I’d never did before .. I had a good recipe and all the ingredients were available. While making my preparations for the recipe, my sister came and asked what I’m going to do for today? “Cookies” I told her. She smiled, and showed me a photo of a recipe she pictured yeasterday.

“Please Maryam .. I’m craving for a bite” she told me “Please ..” she asked again. Two people asked me to do something related to chocolate in the same day. I completely understand chocolate cravings especially in this month! It is totally normal in this time of the year. Personally, I can live without a piece of chocolate for eleven months, however, in this month I would eat a quantity that is enough for a whole year!

Looking at these cookies I completely know what you’re thinking .. they just doesn’t look like cookies. Well, they do if you considered the round shape as factor of being a cookie although it is to perfect for a cookie. Here is the truth, I’ve used cupcake pan. In fact I’ve used it for two reasons. First, when I did the first batch of these cookies, I found the cookies spread in the baking pan and didn’t give me shape that I want. I wanted my cookies at the end of the day to be equal in size and look elegant.

Second, although I faced problem with the batter while baking I continoued the process beacuse of the taste of these cookies .. simply, they are irrisstable.

And here is the thred reason which I forgot to mention. When my sister found out the failur of the fist batch, she told me that she will make sure that it will be eaten even if they don’t look that good! I thought she was comforting me. However, the real reason was .. the taste.

Contolling the shape was the main issue. Then I thought if I used the cupcake pan this problem will be solved and the recipe would sucsses. Indeed it did!

Brownie Cookies

Adapted from .. mmm, I’ve told you the story how I got it from my sister, although I don’t actualy know the name of that book.

Cookies ingredients

50g unsalted butter

450g dark chocolate (contains 60% cocoa or more),chopped

4 eggs

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder (I prefer to add another 1/2 teaspoon because it was flat)

1 cup semisweet chocolate chip

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Making the cookies

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Break down chocolate into small lumps, and then put it into heatproof bowl within a gently simmering saucepan of water add butter to the chocolate till both melt. Or use microwave for quick results.

2. In large bowl using electrical mixture whisk eggs, vanilla, and both types of sugar all together. Then add the melted chocolate-butter mixture, beat again until well combined.

3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl; beat in egg-sugar mixture.

4. Add semisweet chocolate chips to the batter; stir but don’t over do it. If the consistency of batter is not thick enough set it aside for a while. The cookies batter should be similar to a cake batter.

5. Butter and flour cupcake pan. Fill third of the bottom of the cupcake pan. Bake for 12-13 minutes. Check early and regularly.

6. Remove from oven, set cookies for 2 minutes to cool down then remove from cupcake pan to the serving plate.

enjoy with love,

Maryam

Print this post

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Maria @ ScandiFoodie August 22, 2010 at 11:13 pm

You have really succeeded to make cookies look photogenic! I love the photos, looks fantastic!

Maryam August 23, 2010 at 9:24 am

Dear Maria, thanks a lot for your sweet comment.

make room for living August 23, 2010 at 11:46 am

Maryam ..

I just found your blog via FoodGawker and I totaly adore it.. very clean simple easy recipes.. I’m also from Kuwait and so proud to find a creative food blogger from my country!

Wishing you all the best! keep it up! its one of my favorites!

ovenhaven August 23, 2010 at 1:36 pm

What a great idea to bake them in the cupcake/muffin pan! The end result looks really elegant and pretty :)

And Alhamdulillah, I’ve found another Muslim foodblog this Ramadhan. Be dropping by for more posts :) Ramadhan Kareem to you and your family!

Pat August 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I think those are the chewiest brownies ever. All crust top and bottom, wonder why we never thought of making them this way before?

Maryam August 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Dear make room for living, I’m so happy to hear that you liked the blog and it’s contents! thanks a lot for your comment and waiting for your next visit

Maryam August 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Dear ovenhaven, I think that the problem I’ve faced turned to be an opportunity to discover the cupcake pan thing!! thanks for your kind comment and Ramadan Kareem to you too! visit again!

Maryam August 23, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Dear Pat, actually they were the chewiest brownies I ever tasted in my whole life! waiting for your next comment ..

Adriana @ Bittersweet Baker August 23, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I’ve never seen brownies look so good! I read a comment above, and you mention that they’re very chewy. My father loves chewy brownies, and I’ve been on the lookout for good recipes. I think I’ve found it here!

Maryam August 23, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Dear Adriana, It is very chewy .. and I believe you found what you are looking for !

The Chocolate Priestess August 24, 2010 at 6:13 am

Interesting idea to use the cupcake pan as a way to control the cookie size and form.

Maryam August 24, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Dear the chocolate priestess, after inventing the idea of the cupcake pan I decided to do all my cookies using it!

lindentea August 26, 2010 at 2:27 am

Maryam, the brownie cookies look so good! Baking them in muffin tins is such a great idea. Thank you for sharing this recipe. :)

Maryam August 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Dear lindentea, at the beginning when I used the cupcake pans I didn’t think that it is a good idea, in fact I thought that I was a loser in cookies baking. Now after all these comments I’m so glad that I did and I will use it in all my future cookies recipes!

Rima August 27, 2010 at 4:45 am

Ohmygod! this brownie cookies and the mini corndogs are just perfect for Iftar! Because lately I don’t really feel like having heavy meal for the breakfast. Thanks for sharing..and Happy Ramadan :)

Maryam August 28, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Dear Rima, same thing is happening to me, light meal is ideal for Iftar! happy ramadan to you too!

Camala - CC Recipe August 30, 2010 at 5:53 pm

These brownie cookies do look irresistible. I am with your sister, I would help eat them even if they didn’t look pretty!

Maryam August 31, 2010 at 9:22 am

Dear Camala, In fact all the cookies were vanished even the ugly ones!

Paula September 4, 2010 at 10:58 am

that`s really great idea :)

Maryam September 4, 2010 at 6:57 pm