Three weeks ago I started to see many of Tiramisu recipes here and there. Foodgawker, Tastepotting and other food websites were full of Tiramisu’s pictures, recipes and ideas! I was surprised at that time “all people craving for Tiramisu in the same time .. how come?” I thought in the beginning. Though, I realized that a challenge must be there. And it was! Daring Bakers Challenge, the challenge for February was making Tiramisu. After a while from seeing all these delicious pictures and recipes I couldn’t resist any more. I wanted to make my own Tiramisu myself. However I wanted something a little bit different! I wanted to make Tiramisu as a hot drink. I searched for two to three days approximately till I found a recipe. I didn’t know that Tiramisu in drink form would be that rare, or maybe I didn’t make the appropriate search for it!
Finally when I found the recipe, I faced another challenge! The MASCARPONE CHEESE. When I searched for the cheese in the nearby supermarket I didn’t find any. Unfortunately, this kind of cheese was rare in Kuwait. I didn’t know where to find some. That is when I realized that I can make my own mascarpone cheese at home, and that can be done so easily. Well .. I didn’t make mine since I found 250g packet in LuLu Hypermarket, my favorite place for grocery shopping in Kuwait.
To master the drink I did make it two times and in two different ways. I followed some of the steps and I didn’t for others. It is good to be done in a cold weekend morning. A cold breeze touches your cheeks and the hot cup between your hands .. That’s exactly what I have done. Early in the morning in a weekend day, about 7 am, I decided to have a hot Tiramisu drink since the weather was nice with a slight breeze.
The only missing thing was the lady fingers, I decided to go to the supermarket to buy small packet as a garnish to my drink in addition to its lovely taste. What I got there was a big family size packet, that’s why I canceled the garnishing idea, and returned home with nothing to add in my cup! So, if you want to add some lady fingers to your cup go ahead !!
The Tiramisu drink turned to be fabulous, tastes exactly as the sweet but in a liquid form. All you have to do is get up in the morning and enjoy.
Tiramisu hot drink
Adapted from WikiHow, minimum serving one person.
1/4 cup coffee (you can use 1 teaspoon instant coffee with 1/4 cup filtered boiling water)
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons thick cream
1 tablespoon unsweetened chocolate powder and more for garnish
3/4 cup hot milk
1 tablespoon maple syrup and more for garnish
3-4 chocolate chip pieces for garnish (optional)
some instant coffee for garnish (optional)
Whipping cream for garnish (optional)
Making the drink
1. Start with mixing the mascarpone cheese and thick cream together gently. In a sauce pan heat the milk, cheese and thick cream on a low heat. Stir frequently till all hard particles dissolve completely. This step may take 10 to 15 minutes approximately.
2. Add the unsweetened chocolate powder to the mixture (mascarpone cheese mixture), and stir again for 5 mintues or untill all the chocolate melts and completely dissolves.
3. Make the instant coffee by adding the one teaspoon of coffee to the boiling water, or by following the instructions on the coffee bottle.
4. Pour the hot coffee into the serving cup. The coffee should fill only the bottom quarter of the cup.
5.Pour the hot chocolate (mascarpone cheese mixture) over the top of the coffee. Add the maple syrup and stir with a small spoon till completely mixed. If you prefer more sweet into your drink then add more maple syrup to it.
6. Add the whipping cream on top, and garnish with chocolate chips, maple syrup and coffee.
7. Serve immediately. To add to the authenticity, serve with a lady finger for dipping on the plate.
enjoy with love,
Print this post